วันพุธที่ 11 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2558

Does color help our brain remember?

Does color help our brain remember?

What do you think if our world has only black and white?
Does it make you be bored?
And if you have a question why nature creates colors for you,
Will it be possible that color can help us separate and remember things?



In my blog, I just want to show the result of the simple experiment does it can or not. It is simple enough for you to prove it by yourself.

First, I random selected 10 of my friends who are 17-18 to help me did this experiment. Before I ran, I needed to make sure that all of my friends were fresh enough.  I begged them help me after they have taken a bath in the morning. I think it is the most comfortable state for them not too sleepy and not too stressful.

Then I gave them a paragraph of Thai text in black and white. Gave them 5 minutes to remember all of it and then, I marked on the last word he or she can remember.

5 days later, to make sure that my friend forgot what they have read, I gave them the same paragraph which each word had random color like rainbow and did like the first ones.

5 days later, again, I did the third condition in my experiment. I gave them the same paragraph but in this condition I colored the two sentences in text with one color. And the next two sentence with others. Colored like this till the last sentence and did like the first ones. 

So, for one friend, he or she must do 3 conditions:
1. Black and white condition like ‘I love you and you love me’
2. Rainbow condition likelovyoanyolovme’
3. Sentence condition like I love you and you love me

And now, it’s the time for the result. All of my friends have less remembering in the rainbow condition although this condition has the most shades of colors. They all tell me that many colors make them dizzy and hard to read. This result shows us that color cannot always help us remember.


About black and white condition and sentence condition, the results are almost the same. 6 of them prefer sentence condition while the others love black and white. It can’t conclude that color can help or not. So, I did the new special experiment comparing black and white to sentence condition.

I created the text with many paragraph, about 5-6. Begged my friends to do it again but this time, they no need to remember (just reading through like scanning words). We did it in 2 conditions. One is all black and white condition like the experiment before. Another is paragraphcondition which has one color for one paragraph (it’s similar with sentence condition).

My friends had to scan black and white condition 1 time without timer. And then I asked them which paragraph has special word which is specific name and has in only one paragraph. 5 days later, I did it again for paragraph condition.

About the result, in paragraph condition, my friends answered me more correct than black and white condition. It was like that because they imagined that specific name by color.

In my text, there are many specific namesin many paragraphs. In black and white condition, my friends imagined all of specific names in black so they couldn’t separate them. This’s the reason why they were confused and answered me wrong.

On the other hand, in paragraph condition, they imagined one specific name in one color so when I asked them like which paragraph the specific name A in, they though that specific name A was in red paragraph and they could answer my question.


It’s like our real life.When we imagine something, one thing that pops in our mind isits color. So, it’s possible that when we remember things, we remember them by its color. 

Tanawan Prasitsuwan
55010012
(M.6 N.O. 12)

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น