วันพฤหัสบดีที่ 5 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2558

Fact of five - seconds rule







Have you ever heard this phrase “Eat it, just only five seconds”? It happens to me every time when I or my friends dropped snack on the table or floor. Someone told me that bacteria, mold and virus can’t see food or they move too slow to come to your food in five second. You can eat that food like nothing happened. So I am very interested in this phrase. It is true or false and what happen if you eat it. However, this is considered scientific myth that “Is five - second rule real?” I will show you the result from my experiment.
Before I show the result, I will tell you my hypothesis. In my opinion, I have one hypothesis. I think food must be contaminated when it touches table for five second. People who eat it can be sick, stomachache and diarrhea because the table surface has many microorganisms and dirtiness that could make you sick. Although housekeepers have already cleaned table, the microorganisms still exist. Some come from air and people so my hypothesis is five - second rule is wrong from my reason above.

To prove five seconds rule I did experiment in KMUTT laboratory on 5th floor of Pilot Plant Development and Training Institute. First, I found some liquid food and finally chose ice-cream for my experience because it is easy to drop and I like it very much. Then I divided ice-cream in to two situations;










  A.)  Pure ice-cream that come from pack
      B.)   Ice-cream that drop on the table for 5 seconds
After got ice-cream from two situations, I add bacteria in to broth (liquid bacteria food). Two days later, I transferred them into agar-agar (solid bacteria food). And looked for their colony in agar-agar. Next I tested ice-cream from two situations by using gram - straining technique to specify type and density of bacteria by sample random sampling of ice-cream. Finally, I compared results between two situations by using microscope and proved five - seconds rule.






Bacteria in 1st situation from 100X microscope

Bacteria in 2nd situation from 100X microscope

            The results from experiment show that there are 3 colonies and 2 kinds of bacteria in first situation and there are 5 colonies and 4 kinds of bacteria. Both situations have Bacillus subtilis and Clostridium botulinum. The second situation has two more kinds of bacteria Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica which were not found in first situation.
            Bacteria that found in both situations are normal bacteria that live in air and ingredient. These bacteria don’t cause any illness. But in second situation, E. coli and S. enterica are pathogenic bacteria that cause diarrhea. In 2011, E. coli spread in German and Europe and cause diarrhea in people and died for 21 people. Although WHO noticed the warning of diarrhea and make sure that your food is clean enough to eat.
            My conclusion is food that falls on the table is contaminated by bacteria that live on the table surface and in air. So five - second rule is not wrong at all because the food able to eat because number of bad bacteria in environment is very little. If you eat in time that the number of bacteria are not increase too much. Although bacteria can grow in your body and make you sick if you have weak health and being sick. So just too sure, not eating dropped food is the best way to avoid illness and stay healthy.


References:
5-second-rule-with-food available at; http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/5-second-rule-with-food/
Five Second Rule More than Wishful Thinking? available at; http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/five-second-rule-more-wishful-thinking


Nattanan   Chanon 55010008

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น