วันพุธที่ 4 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2558

Does colour of light affect our bean sprouts’ growth?

Does colour of light affect our bean sprouts’ growth?




If I ask, ‘Have you ever grown bean sprouts?’  I trust most of you would say yes. Somehow it’s become traditional or something that science teachers use to help their students understand the lesson. We all observe how little green leaves come out and grow up from seeds, and later we’ll (be forced to) learn how plants did their photosynthesis so they could live on their own.

Then, my question started here. We know that most of plants use light for photosynthesis, so what would happen if we change the type of light? In this case the word ‘type’ I mean the wavelength of light (we’ll know about it after we have known about photosynthesis for a few years later). And the wavelength of light refers to the colour of light so this is my question, what would happen to bean sprouts if we change the colour of light?

My assumption is if we change the colour of light (since plants can absorb different wavelength of light separately) it should have varying rate of bean sprouts’ growth too.

These are equipment I used in this experiment.
- Toilet paper
- A tray
 - Bean sprouts seeds
- Green and red cellophanes
In case if you’ve never seen it, cellophane looks like this.



I made three conditions for my experiment.
One has no cover on top of it (bean sprout), one with green cellophane and another with red.
Then I grow it in the same place so they can have same conditions, like temperature, humidity and light.
And I collect the data which contains the growth of each bean sprout every day to see how it difference from another.

Well, before I tell you about what the result is like, there’re some even more important things that I’ve missed.
My first thought was that if we cover plants with colour cellophane, which we already have known that we can see colour the object because that object absorb vary wavelengths of light but its own wavelength (I mean the colour of that object that we see with our eyes), the light after it went through cellophane should be changed.

Sunlight sometimes is called visible light. In visible light, there is a spectrum that we usually know as a colour of rainbow. But even there are many colour light in visible light, when visible light pass through cellophane, it will still be a visible light. The property of light won’t change. And about the colour of cellophane, it is just that cellophane can have colour because its material absorbs some spectrum and reflects some other. But it won’t change the light.

Let me tell you this. Light couldn’t change its wavelength so easily that you could’ve done it by adding some colourful transparent paper above. But I could say that my experiment went wrong before I have started it. It’s wrong with it hypothesis. So no matter what my result is like, it still doesn’t have anything to do with my assumption. And because the light can’t change so easily, every plant should have grown equally. And it has grown similarly. None of mass difference happens, but it’ll be clearer if we have done it with more time and more conditions.


So for now I’ll conclude that there is not difference with the growth of bean sprouts if we cover it with colour plastic.


Prerasa Kositvichaya 25

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น